De Nederlandse zweefvliegen - Dutch Fauna volume 8 - Syrphidae
The Hoverflies of the Netherlands
- Author: Menno Reemer, Willem Renema, Wouter van Steenis, Theo Zeegers, John Smit
- Price: € 49,95
(Hoverflies of the Netherlands)
- Dutch language -
Authoritative book on Dutch hoverflies. Hoverflies are the acrobats of the air. They can fly backwards, mate in mid-air, and migrate across the Arctic ocean. Although some species resemble wasps or bees, hoverflies never sting. They are as harmless as they are elegant, flying from plant to plant to collect nectar or pollen.
So far 328 species haven been identified in The Netherlands. This book presents all of these, giving a wealth of background information.
- The first to present all available knowledge on the Dutch hoverflies in one volume
- Introductory chapters about hoverfly biology and identification
- Detailed descriptions, including information on ecology and presence
- Clear species distribution maps and diagrammes of flight periods
- Richly illustrated with 45 beautiful aquarelles and over 200 photos
This book is part of the series Nederlandse Fauna