The non-filamentous species of inland waters
- Author: Ton A.M. Joosten
- Price: € 89,95
Identification of Phytoplankton
The Netherlands are a small country, characterized by a large diversity of fresh to slightly brackish, oligo- to hypereutrophic stagnant and flowing inland waters. This diversity is reflected in a remarkable richness of phytoplankton species with blue-green algae as an important component.
Identification of phytoplankton frequently brings on serious problems, due to the scarcity of up-to-date floras. This book, written by an acknowleged Dutch phytoplankton expert, presents a new modern approach to the identification of phytoplankton of The Netherlands.
- treats 95 species belonging to 23 genera of non-filamentous blue-green algae in the plankton of Dutch inland waters including one new genus and 15 new species
- nomenclature according to modern insights and in agreement with international rules
- 500 original black-and-white photographs show all the details necessary for light-microscopical identification
- contains an identification key to the species and comparing every species to similar forms
- information on ecology and occurence in different water types
- relevant literature references
'A first class study with many new data and extraordinary useful for taxonomists as well as ecologists.' Professor Dr. JiYí Komárek
Keywords: flora, algae, algal species, water quality management, aquatic ecology, hydrobiology, phytoplankton, identification key, morphology, taxonomy, ecology, distribution